White House says no deal between Israel and Hamas yet: Spokesperson, World News

A handout photo. Israeli soldiers operate in the Gaza Strip, amid the ongoing ground operation of the Israeli army against the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in this handout picture released on Nov 18, 2023.

PHOTO:

Reuters file via Israel Defense Forces

PUBLISHED ON November 19, 2023 4:21 AM

WILMINGTON, Delaware – Israel and Hamas have not yet reached a deal on a temporary ceasefire, a White House spokesperson said on Saturday (Nov 18) night.

The US is continuing to work to get a deal between the two sides, the spokesperson said. A second US official confirmed no deal had been reached.

The Washington Post reported earlier on Saturday night that a Qatari-brokered deal between Israel and Hamas had been reached for a five-day ceasefire in exchange for 50 or more hostages.

“No deal yet but we continue to work hard to get a deal,” Adrienne Watson, spokesperson for the White House’s National Security Council, said in a statement.

Israel vowed to destroy Hamas after the militant group’s Oct 7 rampage into Israel in which its fighters killed 1,200 people and took 240 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

As the conflict entered its seventh week, authorities in Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip raised their death toll to 12,300, including 5,000 children.

Israel said that it was preparing to expand its offensive against Hamas militants to southern Gaza after air strikes killed dozens of Palestinians, including civilians reported to be sheltering at two schools.

ALSO READ: Israeli air strikes kill 47 in southern Gaza ahead of offensive against Hamas

Share this article

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.

Read More

By admin

Leave a Reply